For many, travelling light can be a real challenge, especially for those long summer trips lasting a few weeks or more. Ladies, if you have ever struggled to pack a fun and fashionable summer wardrobe into a carry on bag, I feel your pain.
Planning a Trip in the time of COVID?Keep in mind that information found in this article may have been impacted by travel restrictions and other closures. Double check opening hours, tour providers and hotel status before you go. And don't leave your home without travel insurance! If you are looking for an insurance provider that covers COVID-19, we recommend SafetyWing. Get Medical and Travel Insurance starting at just $40/month and you can sign up even if your trip has already started!
Over the years, I finally found the trick to packing a summer wardrobe that will cover all activities and moods but won’t add bulk to your baggage. It all comes down to creating the perfect Travel Capsule Wardrobe.
Few Rules of My Capsule Travel Wardrobe
Instead of a huge wardrobe of throwaway fashion, my capsule wardrobe takes a more minimalist and sustainable approach. It consists of:
- a few essential items of classic clothing, items that don’t go out of fashion
- a few seasonal and unique pieces
There are a few general rules to help you build your capsule wardrobe.
Pick one or two base colours that will go with everything. Black, white, brown, grey, or navy make good bases. Then choose one or two accent colours that will make your base pieces pop.
Mix and Match
As you build up your capsule wardrobe, ask yourself if each item can be matched with at least three other items. If it doesn’t, don’t pack it!
Shape and Fit
Choosing items that are flattering means you’re more likely to wear them, so you’ll have less wasted space! Find a brand that you love and you’ll be more sure about the fit of your clothes!
Items should be versatile, like a dress that could be day wear or spruced up for a night out.
Because you want multifunctional pieces, make sure they are made with high-quality fabrics. Items that are well-made will mean they last longer and continue to look good despite the heavy wear and tear.
Over the years, I’ve attempted to add a number of brands to my travel wardrobe, but not many have survived the test of frequent wear, as well as clothing from prAna.
Having ethically sustainable pieces in my travel capsule wardrobe is important to me, so when building my travel capsule wardrobe, I opted for pieces from sustainable brands, like prAna, Organic Basics, Chaco, and a few others.
So this year, I have chosen the capsule wardrobe rules by sticking to brands that are ethical and sus and know that my fashion choices are ethically made, built to last and aren’t harming the environment.
My Summer Travel Capsule Wardrobe
If you need a little inspiration for your summer travel capsule wardrobe, then here are my favourite responsibly-made pieces. It mostly features items by prAna, but a few other brands have made their way into the mix!
1. Permilia Top, prAna: Dolman sleeve top made from 100% TENCEL ™ Modal
2. Cozy Up T-shirt, prAna: Lightweight, breathable, anti-microbial, and eco-friendly fabric
3. Atlantis Top, prAna: 100% organic cotton
4. Longline Scoopneck Tee, prAna: 50% organic cotton and 50% recycled polyester
5. SilverTech™ Active Muscle Tank, Organic Basics: Sweat-wicking GRS certified recycled nylon and treated with Polygiene®
6. Justine Tank Top, prAna: Recycled polyester and moisture wicking to keep you fresh and dry
7. Alda Top, prAna: Fair Trade Factory™ Certified, made from Supersoft TENCEL ™ Lyocell denim
8. Foundation Wrap, prAna: Comfy casual cardigan made with lightweight TENCEL ™ Modal jersey
9. Jade Midi Dress, Whimsy+Row: Sustainably made in LA with 100% Recycled Rayon
10. Sentinel Maxi Dress, prAna: 55% Hemp / 35% Recycled Polyester / 10% TENCEL ™ Lyocell
11. Swift Lake Midi Skirt, prAna: Lightweight cozy skirt with pockets, made from 55% Hemp / 45% Organic Cotton
12. Kayla Jean, prAna: Stretch denim jeans made from 79% Organic Cotton / 19% Polyester / 2% Spandex
13. Revenna Shorts, prAna: Relaxed fit, everyday shorts made with 97% Organic Cotton / 3% Spandex
14. Larkin Pants, prAna: Fair Trade Factory™ Certified, lightweight organic cotton capri pants
15. Inigma Jumpsuit, prAna: Wrinkle-free romper made with TENCEL ™ Modal crinkle gauze
Bathing Suits & Accessories
17. Moorea One Piece, prAna: V-neck one piece, fully-lined, made from 78% ECONYL ® Recycled Nylon and 22% LYCRA ® XTRA LIFE ELASTANE
18. Lahari Halter Bikini, prAna: Made with 78% Econyl ® Recycled Nylon / 22% Lycra ® Xtra Life Elastane
19. Stefany Sarong, prAna: Soft and breathable sarong made with 100% TENCEL ™ Modal
20. The Flat, Rothy’s: The most comfortable pair of flats I have ever owned, made from recycled water bottles and a carbon-free rubber sole.
21. Women’s Tree Runners, Allbirds: Made from eucalyptus tree fibre. Naturally-derived and renewable.
22. Chaco Women’s Maya II Sandal: Dressy sandals made with non-marking ChacoGrip Eco 15% recycled rubber compound.
23. Chaco Women’s Zvolv X2 Athletic Sandal: Supportive, durable and good for your feet. These sandals support healthy alignment and arch support and are built to stay on your feet and not in the landfill!
Hope these pieces will give you a bit of inspiration for that upcoming summer trip!
To make matters even better, if you love some of the pieces in my travel capsule wardrobe, you are in luck, because right now (until July 10th), prAna is having a MEGA SALE, with many items marked down to 40-50% off!
So if you’ve been looking to add some sustainable pieces to your wardrobe, now is the time!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links which means that we receive a small commission on your bookings at no additional cost to you.